Monday, August 4, 2014

Robert Ellis News




I'm happy to be able to kick this blog off with good news. In October 2013, a Spanish translation of CITY OF FIRE came out in print entitled CIUDAD DE FUEGO. The novel was published by Pamies and received lots of attention and good reviews. On July 28, 2014, a Kindle edition of CIUDAD DE FUEGO was released on Amazon. I had been hoping this would happen, and it finally did. Translations of CITY OF FIRE are now truly worldwide, from Germany to Japan, the Netherlands to the Republic of Slovenia, and today, Spain and South America. I'm totally jazzed by this good news.

As for this blog, my hope is that it will evolve into an extension of my writing. I've published five crime novels, five thrillers, the sixth finished and on its way. And for each one, I've kept a writer's journal. There's an overused saying in screenwriting, something we've all heard before. "This ain't brain surgery." Unfortunately, nothing could be less true. Creating a thriller with twists and turns that readers didn't see coming is way more complicated, way more difficult than brain surgery. From the emails I've received, my readers are addicted to reading, have seen everything ten times over, and are very smart people. Giving them a good ride, (beating them with one surprise after the next), is not easy. And that's why I've kept a journal for each novel. This is where I go to work things out in writing. This is where I go to test ideas, think through them, then either reject them, modify them, or use them straight out.

What I'd like to do is use this blog as something of a laboratory. A place to talk about writing, but even more important, a place to talk about a writer's ultimate goal: becoming a storyteller. I hope you'll join me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment