Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Chicken or the Egg



Which came first? Did you read the book, and then see the movie? Or did you see the movie, and then read the book? And which did you like best?

Stanley Kubrick
I can remember reading Stephen King's THE SHINING. The experience was more than intense, so I couldn't wait to see the movie. Stanley Kubrick had been a favorite director ever since DR. STRANGELOVE, Jack Nicholson was king, and someone I knew had been hired to operate one of the cameras. How could anything go wrong?

Sidney Pollack
Everything went wrong. To this day I'm still unable to tell you what I think of the movie. It's almost like the experience of reading the novel rewrote my brain. The movie was and remains a huge success, but I can't watch it. I can't get there. King's book got to me first.

With John Grisham's THE FIRM, it's exactly the opposite experience. The movie was directed by Sidney Pollack, and I saw it first. Even today I consider the movie one of the best legal thrillers ever made. When it comes to the novel, a worldwide bestseller by an author I love, it doesn't seem to make any difference. Pollack's movie got to me first.

No comments:

Post a Comment