Thursday, September 19, 2019

Robert Ellis: THE YEAR IN FILM – 1939 -- A BRIEF LIST OF KNOCKOUTS


On August 25th, just three weeks ago, THE WIZARD OF OZ celebrated the 80th anniversary of its premiere as a motion picture. The year was 1939. I heard about it on the news and jotted down a note to myself because the movie seems just as good, just as scary and relevant, as it was the first time I saw it. Some viewers might even say it’s better today than ever, and I couldn’t argue with that.

But yesterday, as I drove past our local cineplex on the way to the market, I looked at the lineup of current movies (good old Marvel Studios at it again!) and realized that I had another reason for leaving that note on my desk.

The list of movies produced in 1939 reads like a list of the best movies ever made. Ten films were nominated for Best Picture by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Here’s a list of the highlights. Hope it blows your mind as much as it did mine!

1939 Film Releases (in no particular order)
The Wizard of Oz
Gone with the Wind
Ninotchka
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Stagecoach (The Ringo Kid)
Stagecoach (Directed by John Ford, and John Wayne’s debut in movies as the Ringo Kid!)
Goodbye Mr. Chips
Wuthering Heights
Dark Victory


The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Charles Laughton)
Gunga Din
Of Mice and Men
Young Mr. Lincoln
Love Affair
Another Thin Man
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Hound of the Baskervilles
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir)

What a list!
All best,
Robert
 

No comments:

Post a Comment